This is what’s oppostite my new workplace in Camden street, Jewellery Quarter. I believe it’s a former GKN works (due for redevelopment – item F on this map) but is now where the smokers from where I work hang out.
Having trumpeted my return to working in the Jewellery Quarter I actually find myself in a rather undeveloped corner of it which still has large empty factories and small, usually busy, warehouses. That’s fine as I like undeveloped corners of the city and walking from the centre to here takes you through the back of the library – now there’s a nice messy undeveloped bit.
I work in the B1 building which has the following benefits:
- It sells okay Starbucks coffee for half what it costs on the high street.
- The cafe doesn’t understand portion control for cakes.
- It is close to the canal networks for pre, during or post work runs.
- It has shower facilities for the above.
Working in the Jewellery Quarter generally has the following benefits:
- Banks (and therefore cashpoints).
- A supermarket.
- Newsagents that stock newspapers.
- People – both work people and customers for shops.
- Lots and lots of place for lunch.
- A train station
- A diverse population of blue and white collar workers.
In a fight between Digbeth and Jewellery Quarter I wonder who’d win?