The headline figure for Birmingham is that 16,281 business started up. Impressive. However, that’s actually a figure for the B postcode rather than for the Birmingham local authority area. Given that Startup Britain have also released the data they used I though it worth a quick analysis.
- In postcodes that are wholly or partly within the Birmingham local authority area there were 11,248 start-ups.
- B postcodes in Sandwell produced 1200 start-ups.
- Solihull had 947 start-ups.
- The top three performing postcodes in Birmingham are Birmingham City Centre (B2), Edgbaston/Lee Bank (B15), Winson Green/Hockley (B18).
- The fourth and fifth best performing postcodes are within the city centre (B3, B1).
- Castle Vale had the lowest number of start-ups (35, 0.3%) .
- Digbeth (B5) had 268 start-ups, 2.3% of the total (13th in Birmingham).
You can the acces Birmingham data and some tables here: http://bit.ly/startupbrum
Top 20 Birmingham postcodes for start-ups:
|B2||998||8.9%||Birmingham City Centre, New Street|
|B15||994||8.8%||Edgbaston, Lee Bank|
|B18||804||7.1%||Winson Green, Hockley|
|B3||781||6.9%||Birmingham City Centre, Newhall Street|
|B1||383||3.4%||Birmingham City Centre, Broad Street (east)|
|B11||372||3.3%||Sparkhill, Sparkbrook, Tyseley|
|B19||306||2.7%||Lozells, Newtown, Birchfield|
|B12||290||2.6%||Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook, Highgate|
|B9||274||2.4%||Bordesley Green, Bordesley|
|B5||268||2.4%||Digbeth, Highgate, Lee Bank|
|B23||262||2.3%||Erdington, Short Heath|
|B8||243||2.2%||Washwood Heath, Ward End, Saltley|
|B20||226||2.0%||Handsworth Wood, Handsworth, Birchfield, Perry Barr|
|B14||198||1.8%||Kings Heath, Yardley Wood, Druids Heath, Highter’s Heath, Warstock|